Printable Recipe: Roasted Root Veggies with Maple Cinnamon
These roasted root vegetables use maple syrup and orange juice as well as cinnamon and ground cloves to give the dish a wonderful level of taste.
We served them for Christmas dinner but they are easy enough to share all year round.
Start by poreheating your oven to 375º F and spraying a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Next, combine your vegetables and place them into the prepared baking dish. Any root vegetables will do. I used carrots, parsnips, onions and regular potatoes. Sweet potatoes would also work well. The main thing is to try and get your pieces a similar size.
Juice two oranges and set this aside. This will give cut the maple syrup a bit and make the dish savory sweet.
In a bowl, add the orange juice and whisk together the rest of the ingredients until light and frothy. and pour the mixture over the vegetables, tossing to coat well.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes to coat with the cooking liquid. Be sure to toss the vegetables again before serving.
- 6 carrots, trimmed and diced
- 6 parsnips, trimmed and diced
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into wedges
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 º F and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with Pam cooking spray. (be sure to spray the pan or the veggies will stick.
- Combine the vegetables and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour the mixture over the vegetables, tossing to coat well.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. The remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes to coat with the cooking liquid.
- Toss the vegetables again before serving.
- Serve with your favorite protein choice for a hearty and delicious side dish.