Simple to Make Crock Pot Salsa Chicken.
This crock pot salsa chicken recipe could not be easier to make. Super tasty with the addition of one of my new favorite salsas, but the dish tastes like you spent hours making it. Which you did, except that you can do other things while it is simmering in the crock pot! Go, crock pot recipes!!
This recipe is so versatile. It is all done in the crock pot with just a few ingredients and then assembled later in the day into tacos, burritos, or even a salad. The sky is the limit on what you can use for toppings for the tacos, burritos or other wrapped dishes. Avocados, tomatoes, greens, cheese, sour cream all work well.
I don’t think I have ever made a recipe that is so ridiculously simple to do. Just place the chicken first, layer with the salsa, season with the spices and cook on low for 4 hours, then shred and assemble later.
Once the chicken has cooked it is really tender and easy to shred with a couple of forks.
The mix is so versatile. You can put it on tortillas or burrito wrappers and add some salad and sour cream.
It makes the best tasting tacos ever!
And if you plan to use the mixture on a salad you can can add fruit such as oranges, apples or mangoes. All compliment the spice from the salsa.
I chose the Serrano salsa because I like a spicy salsa that is not too hot. This one from Salsa crazy is perfect. My husband loves it and he likes hot salsa, and I adore it and I like salsa more on the mild side. I don’t know how they managed to combine their spices to make it fit us both, but they sure did.
- 1-1/2 lbs lean boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup Serrano salsa You can use any salsa you like but I love this one!
- Kosher salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- cracked black pepper
- ½ cup of frozen corn
- 12 large taco shells Can also use soft tacos or burrito wrappers if you prefer
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced avocados
- sour cream
- sliced tomatoes
- any veggies you like!
- Season the chicken with the kosher salt, then place in the crock pot, add the corn, and top them with the salsa, garlic powder and ½ tsp of the cumin.
- Cover and cook LOW for 4 hours. Remove the chicken and set it on a large plate; and use two forks to shred it. Pour the liquid into a bowl and set it aside for later. Place the shredded chicken back into the crock pot, adjust the salt and pepper to taste and add the remaining ¼ tsp cumin.
- Pour ¾ cup of the reserved liquid back into the crock pot and keep on low until ready to serve.
- Makes about 2¾ cups chicken.
- Can be used in hard taco shells, or made as burritos, or soft tacos. For an exciting twist, use the mixture on the top of salad greens for a spicy and hearty salad.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission, but the price will be the same for you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."