Printable Recipe: Vegan Banana Nut Muffins
These banana nut muffins are light and delicious and contain no cow’s milk or butter so they are perfect for vegans. But my meat eating husband loves them too. They are full of flavor and have great texture. You won’t believe there are no eggs in them!
You can make them in either full sized of mini muffins. Be sure not to over mix the batter of the muffins will be tough. I made normal sized muffins and got 18 of them.
To make the topping, just brush the tops of the muffins with Earth Balance buttery spread and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Delish!
- 1 to 1¼ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup vanilla soy milk, slightly warmed
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/ cup granulated sugar,
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease and flour non-stick muffin pans. You can also spray the insides of muffin liners so that they will not stick to the muffins. Set pans aside.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, optional salt, and stir to mix well an set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1¼ cups granulated sugar, coconut oil that has been meltedin the microwave for about 1 minute. slightly warmed milk (another 20 seconds in the microwave, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk to combine. Fold the bananas into the mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry, stirring until just incorporated. Do not over mix. Fold in the chopped walnuts. Batter is quite thick and if it appears too thick, thin it slightly with the milk.
- Fill the muffin tins between ⅔ and ¾ full; don’t exceed ¾ full.
- Bake until done. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, the tops are golden and they spring back. Takes approximately 15 minutes for regular sized muffins and 9 minutes for mini muffins.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 10 minutes before carefully turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the dipping mix, stir together about ⅓ cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. I combine this and put it in an extra salt shaker that I have. Light spread the top of the muffins with a tiny bit of Earth Balance buttery spread and sprinkle the muffin tops with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Store in an air tight container.