I came home from the grocery store yesterday with a huge bag of grapefruit instead of the oranges I thought I was buying. I do like grapefruit but at 1/2 a fruit in the morning, these babies will take a long time to disappear.
This Citrus salad with chicken and walnuts uses them beautifully, and I even made a dressing using the grapefruit too.
The salad is delicious and so refreshing and the dressing compliments it beautifully. I had this for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Like most salads, it is easy to do. Just pile on the ingredients and you are good to go. The dressing is the hardest part of the recipe, but that’s easy too.
Any greens will go but the combination that I used for this recipe worked very well: baby spinach, red cabbage, and diced carrots. Add in the grapefruit, chicken pieces, shredded cheese, and walnuts and you have a salad that is worthy of any high end restaurant for lunch, and you made it yourself.
Plus I got rid of a few of my pesky grapefruit!
- For the salad:
- 3 cups of peeled grapefruit, in segments cut in half
- 5 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of shredded red cabbage
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 cups of cooked rotisserie chicken, cut into chunks.
- ½ cup of walnuts, in small pieces
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella and cheddar mixed cheese.
- For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 tbsp of garlic wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of dry mustard
- ½ tsp of Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper.
- Combine the vinegar, grapefruit juice, honey, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Mix the baby spinach leaves, shredded red cabbage, cooked chicken, grapefruit segments, walnuts, carrots and cheese.
- Dress with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.