Are you tired of the same old boring meat loaf recipe? This easy Parmesan meatloaf is flavored with Italian inspired fresh herbs and topped with a layer tasty Parmesan cheese and a delicious homemade marinara sauce. It is fall comfort food at its best and a great addition to your collection of Italian recipes!
I am tired of meatloaf recipes getting a bad rap. With the right blend of spices, you can turn this simple family staple into something extraordinary in the taste department. You will make believers out of those who say that there is no such thing as a great meat loaf recipe.
This Parmesan meatloaf could not be easier to prepare!
The Parmesan cheese in the mixture and the cheddar cheese on the top of the meatloaf add and extra richness to the meat loaf recipe, and the Italian inspired fresh herbs and a sauce made from roasted tomatoes are the key to the ingredients. I make this in bulk and freeze it, so that I have it to use in all sorts of recipes. But if you don’t want to take the time to roast the tomatoes and make the sauce, a good quality bottled sauce will do. Just add a splash of red wine to it, since that will give it extra flavor.
I use a medium sized loaf pan. I like my meat loaves to be narrow and tall! This recipes fits it beautifully.
One of the beauties of a meat loaf recipe is that it is very fast to put together. Just make the loaf, put it in the fridge and then spend the day doing other things you enjoy. (for me today, it is tidying up my office, if you can believe it. Not the most appealing of jobs, but I know I will be happy when I get it done.) Then tonight, I will just pop this beauty in the oven and can relax with a glass of wine while it cooks.
Time to taste this Parmesan meat loaf recipe
The Parmesan meatloaf is very moist and full of flavor. Add an extra dollop of the the marinara sauce on top to garnish. It is also great served cold the next day.
Serve this Parmesan meatloaf with creamy mashed potatoes and a salad or veggie side dish and you will have another ultimate comfort food recipe!
This meatloaf is sure to become a family favorite. It serves 8 and works out to just under 390 calories each.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg ( I use free range eggs)
- 2 tbsp Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup marinara pasta sauce (bottled sauce will also work fine.) warmed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 º F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Just mix until well combined. Don't over handle it or the meat loaf will be tough. Place the mixture in the greased loaf pan and form into a loaf. Top the meatloaf with the pasta sauce.
- Place in the preheated oven for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and sprinkle the top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Put the meatloaf back in the oven and bake just until the cheese has melted. Warm the marinara sauce.
- Allow the loaf to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with the warm marinara sauce spooned over the slices. Garnish with parsley and serve.