Slow cooker meals are some of my favorites. There is nothing that makes an easy recipe better than adding ingredients to a slow cooker and letting the appliance do the work for you while you are out and about doing other things. This Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken is simple to prepare and flavored beautifully from a combination of fresh herbs.
Today I used baby red potatoes, carrots and a nice blend of fresh basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary. My herbs have just started growing for the season and I was itching to use them all for a full flavored dish.
This Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken is so easy to prepare.
Bone in chicken thighs are my choice for the recipe because they add a richness and tenderness to the dish that chicken breasts just can’t. I seasoned them with rosemary, basil and oregano and then cooked them until lightly browned in a bit of olive oil and unsalted butter. Doing this before adding them to the slow cooker gives a much better presentation to the finished dish.
The carrots and baby potatoes get a quick toss with some olive oil, thyme and finely diced garlic. This will season the bottom layer of the dish during the cooking time so that it adds loads of flavor to the veggies.Top them with the browned chicken thighs and the slow cooker is ready to do its thing for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low. The house is going to smell amazing while they cook.
Time to check out the slow cooker garlic chicken. The smell coming out of the crock pot makes me want dinner on the table NOW. Since, it cooked while I was out, this is actually possible!
The chicken is fork tender and the carrots and baby potatoes are full of the robust flavor from the fresh herbs and garlic. It is a meal made in comfort food heaven.
A light sprinkle of finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese and a garnish of fresh parsley completes the dish. Add a piece of garlic bread or a tossed salad and you have a finished meal within minutes of coming home. That is crock pot magic!
This crispy and tender chicken cook slowly with baby red potatoes and chunky carrots for a full and satisfying meal! It is another of my easy and effortless meals. What is not to like?
For more slow cooker recipes, visit my Crock Pot Cooking Board on Pinterest.
Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Baby Potatoes and Carrots
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1½ tsp fresh basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1½ tsp fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pounds baby red potatoes, halved if large
- 6 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Season the chicken thighs with basil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Melt the butter and 1 tsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the seasoned chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; drain off the excess fat and set chicken aside.
- Place the baby potatoes and carrot chunks into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in the olive oil, finely diced garlic and fresh thyme. Season with sea salt and pepper. Add the browned chicken thighs to the slow cooker on top of the potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese and garnish with fresh parsley.