Soups make great 30 minute meals. There is nothing quite like a big bowl of creamy soup on a cold winter’s night. This slimmed down broccoli cheddar soup is rich and delicious but without the calories of a full cream soup. Yet the flavor will make you think that you didn’t skimp on the cream.
Enjoy a Crisp winter day with a big bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Broccoli is one of the favorite veggies in our house. I love using it in broccoli salads, main courses and soups. For today’s recipe, I am dong a slimmed down version of the traditional Broccoli cheddar soup.
The key to the taste of the soup is using fat free evaporated milk. I use it all the time in recipes that call for cream with great results.
This simple soup has really very basic ingredients, but it tastes good enough to serve for any special occasion. The green broccoli florets and the brilliant orange carrots give this creamy soup a splash of color that appeals to the eyes as well as the stomach.
Serve it will some of my crusty Italian bread for a hearty and delicious winter meal.
Slimmed Down Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red-skinned potato, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- One 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced