It’s been chilly here in NC with the odd really warm day. Weather like this makes me miss the summer. Here is a dessert recipe guaranteed to make you think of balmy summer evenings sitting on the deck after dinner.
This recipe works with any type of ice cream. You can used reduced fat or sugar free to cut down on the calories. The rum and pineapple combine well and the coconut gives the whole thing the pina colada finish.
Why not have a pina colada to go along with it to really relax?
- 1¼ cups of graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 cups of vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 8 ounces of crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- ¼ cup Jamaican rum
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- ¼ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- mango pieces to garnish
- Heat the oven to 350°F. In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar.
- Press the mixture into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, for about 1 hour.
- In large bowl, beat the ice cream, pineapple and pineapple juice and extracts on low speed just until blended. Do not over mix.
- Spread into the cooled and baked crust. Freeze about 6 hours or until firm.
- Remove the dessert from freezer about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle the toasted coconut and mango pieces over top and serve cold.