This oven baked Parmesan chicken is perfect for a quick week night meal.
I loved chicken Parmesan, but the normal version is usually fried in lots of oil and has a load of extra cheese as well as a tomato sauce. My oven baked Parmesan chicken is lighter in all respects, but still has a delicate and really delicious flavor.
This oven baked Parmesan chicken recipe has very few ingredients and that is one of the things that I love most about it. Fresh basil, sea salt and cracked black pepper add the needed seasonings and Panko bread crumbs, butter and garlic give the coating a delicious buttery crunch while still leaving the dish with a light taste and texture.
The first step is to season your chicken with sea salt and black pepper.
Start by setting up a mini dipping station. Two shallow bowls are all you need. The melted butter and mince garlic go in one and the Panko bread crumbs, fresh chopped garlic, pink sea salt and cracked black pepper go in another. I used fresh Parmesan Reggiano grated cheese. The flavor is rich, so 1/4 cup will be enough for both chicken breasts. I used two really big cloves of garlic. If you are not so much into garlic, one will do.
Dip the chicken in the butter/garlic mixture and then roll in the seasoned Panko and transfer to a baking dish. I always line my baking dishes with parchment paper to make clean up easy after cooking. You could also line the baking pan with a silicone baking mat,or spray with a cooking spray, if you wish. I had a bit extra chicken and my dipping station was plenty for it all!
Bake the chicken for 30 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. I used olive oil in my Misto sprayer for the last few minutes to make sure the coating was a nice golden brown.
This oven baked Parmesan chicken is the perfect weeknight dinner! Pair it with some steamed or roasted vegetables. The recipe has about 358 calories for a good sized 4 ounce cooked chicken breast. (compare that to a traditional chicken Parmesan restaurant recipe which has well over 1000 calories!)
The taste is sublime. The chicken is very tender and has a buttery crunch in every bite. It is easy enough for a busy week night but also perfect for any special occasion.
Serve with some steamed broccoli, or a tossed salad for a really delicious meal. One bite and you will be hooked!
For a more traditional Parmesan chicken recipe, check out this version.
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- pinch of cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning the chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking dish with a silicone baking mat, or parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the melted butter and garlic. In a separate shallow dish, combine the Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and cracked black pepper. Season each chicken breast with sea salt and black pepper, dip it in the butterl mixture, and then into the bread crumb mixture. Arrange coated chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. I sprayed my chicken with Olive oil in my Misto sprayer for the last few minutes to make sure the outside was a nice golden brown.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission, but the price will be the same for you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."