These oven baked chicken fajitas give all of the flavor of the popular Mexican entreé without the fuss (and mess) of a sizzle platter. They are a delicious combination of sweet peppers, onions and sliced chicken with both fresh and dried herbs. Best of all, this is a 30 minute recipe for those busy weeknights!
I love chicken fajitas. It is a favorite choice when I go out to Chili’s or other restaurants that serve Mexican inspired food. But cooking them on the stove top can be messy and time consuming. This easy recipe changes that since these fajitas are made in the oven!
Fajitas are such an explosion of flavor. Normally they are done on a sizzle plate but for this recipe we are using our oven. (For another twist on fajitas, try my steak fajita chili – it’s amazing!)
I can make it ahead of time and then I can relax with my husband and a glass of wine for some “us time” instead of slaving in the kitchen at days end.
As always, start with the freshest ingredients. Normally, I use all fresh herbs, but only a few still are growing in my herb garden, so I had to use some dried spices. I bought the peppers yesterday so they are gorgeous and fresh.
The best part of this recipe is just throwing the ingredients into a baking dish, and putting it in the oven to cook. It just gets sort of layered on and is fast and easy to do. The hardest part is just slicing the veggies.
The recipe comes out a bit differently than fajitas on the stove top (not so crunchy) but they are yummy just the same. I heat the tortillas just before serving time and place them in a warmer and then let the family add what they want to their tortilla shell, much like a taco party. They love it!
Adapting the oven baked chicken fajitas recipe for Whole30, Paleo and Gluten free
To adapt this recipe for Whole30, Paleo and Gluten free diets, use Romaine lettuce as the wrappers. Their long, stiff leaves make the perfect wrappers! Also be sure to omit the cheese and sour cream from the topping list for Paleo and Whole30. Guacamole, avocado, salsa and lime make good toppings.
Now, I just have to figure out how to manage a meal like this while watching the Bachelor (go Juan Pablo!) in the den instead of at the dining table. Not the brightest idea for dinner, was it? I think our laps will be full!
Even though these oven baked chicken fajitas were a bit tricky to manage on our laps, they were scrumptious!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic. finely diced
- 1 tsp chili powder ( you can add more if you like your fajitas hotter)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh cilantro (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can Mexican style diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced (I use half an orange, half a yellow and half a red)
- extra olive oil drizzle and seasonings for the veggies
- 12 Flour or whole wheat tortillas
- Suggested toppings:
- shredded lettuce
- cheese (omit for Whole30 and Paleo)
- sour cream (omit for Whole30 and Paleo)
- lime wedges
- Tip for Whole30, Paleo and Gluten free - Use Romaine lettuce leaves as the holder in place of tortillas. They hold up very well!
Recipe adapted from Real Kitchen Mom