Making your own homemade pistachio pudding gives you a recipe that is so much more tasty than those you can make with a box.
It is crunchy and creamy and the perfect comfort food. This pudding recipe is made with fresh pistachios, sugar and eggs.
I love the taste of homemade puddings. They are normally a lot lighter in calories than other desserts, but still give you a sweet ending to a meal or a tasty snack.
Making Homemade Pistachio Pudding
Who doesn’t love the taste of fresh pistachios? I love their split shells that are fun to eat without the need of a nut cracker.
Did you know that they are a member of the cashew family?
A serving of this heart healthy nut has only 13 grams of fat – one of the lowest of all the nuts. This makes them perfect for using in desserts.
(Check out my easy pistachio fudge for another way to use them in desserts.)
To make the pudding, you will first make a paste of the pistachios in a food processor.
Just pulse the nuts into small pieces and then add the sugar and water and blend.
The paste gets added to some egg yolks mixed with sugar, arrowroot and Kosher salt to give it a creamy texture with just a hint of crunch.
You’ll know that you are eating the real thing!
To get the bright green color, just add a few drops of gel food coloring to the pudding mixture.
Homemade pistachio puddings have a naturally light color that comes from the pistachio paste.
Tasting this homemade Pistachio pudding
This homemade pistachio pudding is creamy and light with a bit of crunch. It makes a great afternoon snack or light dessert.
Serve it with some whipped cream for a bit more of a decadent touch.
The pudding keeps well in an air tight container in the fridge for about 4 days.
- ½ cup salted pistachio nuts
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups 2 % milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- a few drops of green gel food coloring (optional)
- First make the Pistachio Paste: place pistachios in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until the nuts are in very small bits.
- Add the sugar and water, and blend until relatively smooth.
- Spoon the Pistachio Paste into a medium saucepan.
- Add the milk and whisk over medium heat.
- Heat milk and pistachio paste until well combined and hot.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the granulated sugar, egg yolks, arrowroot and pinch of Kosher salt. Mixture will be quite thick. Keep whisking until it is very smooth.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the steaming pistachio milk into the sugar and egg mixture. Whisk together.
- Add another 1/2 cup of the pistachio milk and whisk to incorporate.
- Return the milky egg mixture into the saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the pudding mixture over medium heat until thick and bubbly stirring all the time.
- Boil for about 1 minute, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract, until butter is melted.
- If desired add a few drops of green food coloring. (home made pistachio puddings do not have much color.
- Allow to cool. Use a strainer to collect any bits of the pistachios that did not cook down.
- Spoon into small serving bowls, place plastic wrap over the individual puddings and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
- Store in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 16.1gSaturated Fat: 3.9gUnsaturated Fat: 11gSodium: 121.9mgSugar: 40.5g