Are you looking for a comfort food sensation? This recipe for homemade butterscotch pudding is creamy and delicious and quite easy to make.
If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll be delighted to learn that September 19 is National Butterscotch Pudding Day. Even though you don’t need an excuse to enjoy this treat, it’s still the perfect day to do so.
Printable Recipe: Homemade Butterscotch Pudding.
This delicious butterscotch pudding gets its fabulous flavor from dark brown sugar and pure vanilla extract mixed with 2% milk. Puddings are one of the simple pleasures of life.
Some think of them as nursery food for children or for the sick but I love their rich flavor and creamy texture.
But we all could do with a little nurturing at times and puddings do the trick. Plus, they are much lower in calories than normal baked desserts.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 cups 2 % low-fat milk, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tbsp of chopped pecans
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add 2 cups if the milk; stir with a whisk until the mixture is well blended. Cook to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not let it boil).
- Combine the remaining 1 cup milk, egg, and egg yolk in a bowl; stir with a whisk until well combined.
- Gradually add 1 cup of hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add egg mixture to saucepan and bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until it is thick, being sure to stir the whole time. Remove from heat; Add in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Place the pan in a large bowl filled with ice for 20 minutes until mixture cools to room temperature; stirring occasionally. Place in a covered container and chill in the fridge.
- Serve with reduced fat whipped topping and a few pecans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 279mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 0gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.