This easy penne pasta recipe has ground beef and penne cooked in a red wine tomato sauce that is rich and flavorful. It makes a tasty addition to your collection of one pot meals. Everything is made in one pan to make clean up super easy when you are done cooking.
Mushrooms, onions and garlic give a lovely caramelized flavor to the home made tomato sauce that is seasoned with fresh herbs and red wine. This easy penne pasta recipe is ready in about 30 minutes Perfect for a busy week night!
There is something so comforting about a beef and pasta dish. It always reminds me of my mom’s home cooking when I make one.
It is the perfect meal to cozy up to when you don’t have a lot of time to cook, too. See my gourmet beef noodle casserole for another tasty idea.
Ground Beef and Penne Pasta Recipe
This ground beef and penne pasta recipe is comfort food at it’s best. It is one of my family’s favorite recipes. The meal takes very little time to prepare but tastes as though you spent hours over a hot stove.
The onions, garlic and mushrooms along with the fresh garden herbs in this penne pasta recipe give the base of this recipe a real Italian style flavor.
You could make this dish with any type of pasta that you like, but I chose penne. I love the shape of the pasta and the tube like structure ensures that the noodle gets really coated with the sauce so there is flavor in every bite.
Making this Penne Pasta Recipe with Beef
Start by browning the onions, mushrooms and garlic in a tall dutch oven. This makes the base of the dish and it’s a very savory mix.
In goes the ground beef. Cook it until it is no longer pink and then mix in the tomato sauce to give the base of the dish some richness and color.
The next layers of flavor make the delicious sauce. Beef stock, red wine (I used a good quality Merlot) and diced Italian style tomatoes are added and mixed well.
The wine adds a nice richness to the flavor. The flavors are starting to come together and it’s time to add the penne pasta.
Bring the mixture to a boil and add the fresh herbs. I like to wait until close to the end to add them so they will keep some of their color.
Now it’s time to let everything simmer for a while. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, reduce the heat and cover. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The last step is to add the tomato sauce and let it cook another 5 minutes. YUM! I can’t wait to dig in!
Tasting this one pot beef and penne recipe
The rich and savory sauce is so flavorful. Fresh herbs elevate the flavor. Even if you don’t grow your own herbs for kitchen gardens, many grocery stores stock a good choice of them in the produce section.
This recipe features beef, but you can also make it for vegetarians and vegans by omitting the ground beef and adding lots of fresh vegetables instead. Great for a Meatless Monday!
And make this to fit a gluten free diet, by using Gluten Free Penne. My local stores all stock it now and it has a great taste.
Serve this penne pasta recipe with a tossed salad and some herbed Italian bread for a fast and delicious one pot week night meal.
If you would like a reminder of this ground beef penne pasta recipe, pin this image to one of your Pinterest cooking boards.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1½ cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes Italian style
- ½ cup good quality red wine (I used Merlot)
- 1 (16-oz) box penne pasta
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs. I use rosemary, oregano, and parsley, but any Italian herbs will do.
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a tall sided dutch over over a medium high heat. Cook the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are softened.
- Add in the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomato paste and combine well with the beef and onions. Add the crushed tomatoes, beef stock,and wine. Stir until well combined.
- Mix in the penne pasta, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the chopped fresh herbs, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of tomato sauce to the pan and mix until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread and a tossed salad.