This easy penne pasta recipe includes ground beef, mushrooms and garlic in a home made tomato sauce that is seasoned with fresh herbs and red wine. This simple dish to fix and is the perfect choice for a busy week night meal.
Ground Beef and Penne Pasta Recipe
This ground beef and penne pasta recipe is comfort food at it’s best. It is one of my family’s favorite recipes. The meal takes very little time to prepare but tastes as though you spent hours over a hot stove.
The red wine and mushrooms combine with the tomatoes and fresh garden herbs to make a rich sauce that compliments the pasta so well. I used a combination of I used rosemary, and oregano, as well as basil and thyme.
You could make this dish with any type of pasta that you like, but I chose penne. I love the shape of the pasta and the tube like structure ensures that the noodle gets really coated with the sauce so there is flavor in every bite.
The thick and chunky sauce is so flavorful. Fresh herbs elevate the flavor. Even if you don’t grow your own herbs for kitchen gardens, many grocery stores stock a good choice of them in the produce section.
This recipe features beef, but you can also make it for vegetarians and vegans by omitting the ground beef and adding lots of fresh vegetables instead. Great for a Meatless Monday! Serve this penne pasta recipe with a tossed salad and some herbed Italian bread for a fast and delicious week night meal.
- 1 (16-oz) box penne pasta - cooked & drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs. I use rosemary, oregano, basil and thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 10 oz can of crushed tomatoes Italian style
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup good quality red wine
- Begin boiling water for pasta and cook using package directions.
- Meanwhile, Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium high heat. Cook the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are softened. Add the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Stir in the chopped fresh herbs, and season to taste.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, wine and tomato paste. Stir until combined.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the drained, cooked pasta and stir well to heat through.
- Serve with garlic bread and a tossed salad.