We love any Mexican food recipe at our house, and I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. This recipe for Grilled Shrimp Tostadas is ready in a flash and combines heart healthy grilled shrimp to a traditional tostada recipe. It is one of my husband’s favorite shrimp recipes. And if you are looking for easy appetizers, this recipe is for you!
Shrimp is such an easy seafood to cook with. You can make it mild or add in some spicy heat and it always tastes great. (See my spicy garlic and parsley shrimp recipe for another great tasting way to use shrimp.
Grilled Shrimp Tostadas – Easy Mexican Meal
If you are looking for 30 minute meals or appetizers, this is one that my family really loves.
For these tostadas, I combined Vegetarian re-fried beans and store bought salsa verde. (affiliate links) The salsa verde is also used to season the shrimp for an extra taste delight. You can either grill the shrimp outside, or indoors on a grill. (soak your skewers first if you plan to grill outside.
The recipe is done in a few stages. First, make your guacamole, being sure to leave some chunks of avocado in it.
Then season the shrimp with garlic, salt and pepper and the salsa verde.Then thread the shrimp and tomatoes on the skewers. Then cook them for a few minutes on each side. The salsa verde on the shrimp gives them a great taste and keeps them moist and not dried out during cooking time.
The final step it to layer your Mexican ingredients on tostadas and then garnish and serve.
The shrimp lowers the calories of what would normally be a heavy meal and the additional tostada layers makes you feel as though you are not cutting calories too much. A win win meal!
If you want you can top it with both cheese and a table spoon of sour cream, but this is optional.
Super fast and easy to do, but tastes like you spent hours making it. What could be better?
Having a party soon? Try these beer battered coconut shrimp.
- For the Guacamole:
- ½ medium hass avocado, halved
- ¼ tomato, seeded and diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp yellow onion, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- For the tostada:
- 10 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 grape tomatoes
- 1 garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp prepared salsa verde
- 2 tortillas,
- 1½ cups mixed salad greens
- ½ cup canned Vegetarian refried beans
- extra salsa verde, for topping
- 2 tbsp crumbled cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Place the pulp from the avocado in a medium bowl and mash with a fork being sure to leave some large chunks. Add the tomato, lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, onion, garlic and mix thoroughly and set aside
- Season shrimp with Kosher salt, then mix in crushed garlic and 2 tbsp salsa verde. Thread the shrimp and tomatoes onto 4 skewers. (if you plan to grill outside, soak the skewers for 30 minutes before using)
- Grill the shrimp about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- If desired, warm the tostada and heat the re-fried beans in the microwave for a few seconds before assembling. (not necessary. The dish is nice cold with just the warm shrimp on the top.)
- Place a tostada on each plate, top each with ¼ cup of the re-fried beans and spread evenly, ¼ cup lettuce and ½ of the guacamole. Top each with a shrimp skewer on top and serve with extra salsa verde and cheddar cheese.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission, but the price will be the same for you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."