We barbecue at our house most of the year. Normally, it’s chicken or beef that lands on the grill, but today I decided to add to my shrimp recipes with these grilled cilantro lime shrimp kebabs. We don’t get much in the way of snow in the winter so our outdoor grill is perfect for those nights when I just don’t feel like cooking and I can marinate something to hand to my husband to cook at dinner time. These kebabs are so easy to make and they taste just amazing. They are the perfect choice for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo celebration too!
It’s time to fire up the grill for these grilled cilantro lime shrimp kebabs.
Do you love 30 minute meals? So do I and this one is ready in far less than that!
One of the things that I like most about these grilled cilantro lime kebabs is how colorful they are! The sweet peppers really add a great visual look and all the flavors really combine well.
If it is too cold still for you to use the outdoor grill, an indoor grill pan works beautifully too. The indentations and raised areas of the pan will give you the “grill marks” just as though you had cooked these outside!
The ingredients are just a few: jumbo shrimp, limes, sweet peppers, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
TIP: If you are using bamboo skewers for this recipe, be sure to soak them in water for an hour or so before you grill them. They will hold up better with the heat of the barbecue grill if you do this.
The main thing to remember is not to make the skewers too early. Lime juice will actually start cooking seafood, so the skewers need to be made just before you are ready to cook. I also made sure that the lime was not right next to the shrimp. I plan to drizzle them with lime while they are cooking. Aren’t they colorful?
The cilantro and lime combine so well to flavor the shrimp and peppers. And grilling the peppers gives them a very different taste too. Even if you are not a pepper lover, you will like the way they taste.
The flavor of these shrimp was just delicious. My husband loved them and they were great served with rice and a tossed salad. Fast, easy and perfect for any special occasion!
- 16 jumbo raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 limes, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 baby peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 6 bamboo skewers soaked in water 1 hour
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- Season the shrimp with garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and half of the cilantro. Set aside.
- Cut one lime into very thin slices. Don't make your skewers too early or the shrimp will actually start to cook. They need to be made right before you will be grilling. Peel and devein the shrimp.
- Thread six skewers, starting and ending with shrimp, and alternating with folded lime slices and peppers.
- Grill the shrimp on a stove top grill pan brushed with olive oil, turning occasionally, until shrimp is opaque throughout, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Top with remaining cilantro and squeeze lime juice right before serving. Serve with rice and garnish with lime.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission, but the price will be the same for you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."