Printable recipe Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
This recipe combines two of my favorite treats into one delicious bar – chocolate fudge and oatmeal cookies. The end result is thick and rich and just plain scrumptious.
This recipe is not for a cook who likes to keep their hands clean. It is messy and you need to dig into it to get the best results. (if you don’t mind eating raw cookie dough, this is no problem at all!)
You will first make your cookie dough batter with the dry ingredients and butter and brown sugar. The mixture will be very thick when you are done, so use a big bowl or a stand mixer.
Next combine your chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, extra butter and vanilla over medium low heat until thick. (a double boiler is best so you won’t burn it.
Spread 3/4 of the cookie mixture in a greased pan. This is the first messy part. It is not crumbly so you will need to use your hands to flatten it in the pan.
Spread the chocolate mixture over the crust.
Now you will need to use your hands. Take the remaining cookie mixture and dot it over the top of the chocolate. It will not cover completely. Just dot it here and there so that the chocolate is evenly covered.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350º F. Cover for the last 10 minutes if the top starts to brown too quickly.
Cool completely before trying to cut it into squares. I placed mine on the counter till it started to cool and then in the fridge until completely cooled. Make sure not to cut them too soon. They need to be completely cooled first. These are rich bars, so you can cut them into fairly small sized treats or big ones if you want a special treat. Enjoy!
- 2 sticks margarine or butter
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 3 cups oatmeal
- Mix the butter, eggs and brown sugar together in large bowl. Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and skim milk.
- Whisk together the flour, oatmeal and baking soda. Slowly incorporate them into the butter mixture. Mix well. The mixture will be very thick.
- In a saucepan over medium heat melt together the sweetened condensed milk, butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract and chocolate chips until well mixed and smooth.
- Spread ¾ of the cookie mixture on the bottom of a greased 13x9 pan, pour chocolate mixture over , then top with the rest of the cookie mixture in spoonfuls .
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 º F. Put aluminum foil over it for the last ten minutes or so if it looks like it's browning too much. Let the bars cool completely and then cut into bars.