This creamy garlic Parmesan mushroom chicken recipe features tender chicken breasts and mushrooms swimming in a rich garlicky Parmesan sauce.
The easy recipe is on the table in less than 30 minutes and you’ll be delighted to see the last drop of sauce gone from the plates!
We have chicken often during the week at our house. I love using boneless skinless chicken breasts, since they are lower in flavor and cook quickly.
Keep reading to learn how to make this delicious chicken recipe.
Check out my delicious recipe for chicken breasts in a buttery tomato sauce for another quick week night meal that is very special.
I love using fresh herbs when I make my recipes. I grow them year round and they add so much more flavor than dried spices do.
Today we’ll be using tiny fresh thyme leaves. Mine have just started growing and have a lovely delicate flavor.
They’ll be added to fresh white mushrooms, spicy garlic and some delicious fresh grated Parmesan Cheese. No bottled stuff allowed!
How to make this creamy garlic Parmesan mushroom chicken
This recipe comes together in one pot and is super easy to make but has an elegant look and taste.
This makes it perfect for busy week nights but also special enough for entertaining guests that drop in unexpectedly near dinner time.
Start by heating some olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat and cook the seasoned chicken breasts until they are lightly browned on both sides and no longer pink in the middle.
This takes about 5 minutes or so on each side.
Remove them to a plate and add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook until they are tender, scraping up the crusty bits from the chicken to add that flavor to the mushrooms.
Add them to the chicken and cover keep the plate warm while you make the creamy garlic sauce.
How to make Garlic Parmesan Sauce
The star of this recipe is the creamy garlic Parmesan sauce. It is ridiculously easy to make but gives the dish a Julia Child moment when guests dig into it.
Use the same pan that you cooked the chicken and mushrooms in. This will help to flavor the garlic Parmesan chicken sauce.
Add the butter and cook the garlic and cook until it is soft and tender. Be careful not to cook too long, or the garlic will burn.
Now, you’ll be making a garlic roux. A roux is simply a combination of butter and flour with seasonings that you plan to use in a sauce.
Stir the flour into the butter and garlic and cook a few minutes until the flour is lightly toasted.
(Note: I you wish to keep the meal gluten free, use Gluten free flour or arrowroot powder instead of normal flour.) See tips for making a roux here as well as finding out about the various types of roux recipes.
The flour will puff up a little and the roux will turn a light tan color and develop a slightly nutty flavor.
The heavy cream, 2% milk and chicken broth get added now and are gently cooked. The roux will thicken the sauce and make it nice and creamy.
Once the sauce starts to thicken, stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, fresh thyme leaves and seasonings. The aroma of the sauce gives a hint of the lovely tastes to come!
Chopped baby spinach gets added last and will add a touch of color and freshness to the sauce.
Now it’s time to add the cooked spinach and mushrooms back to the pan and gently cooked until everything is well combined.
Spoon the chicken, mushrooms and sauce over cooked pasta (rice also works well for gluten free eating) and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
Time to dig in!
Tasting this garlic chicken Parmesan recipe
Oh my goodness – comfort food on a plate!
The flavor of the sauce is so rich and creamy, but still light from the lower fat substitutes that I made. It coats the mushrooms and chicken beautifully and makes this a dish that is perfect for entertaining.
Your guests will never know that you made it in less than 30 minutes! YUM, so many flavors on one plate!
Garlic mushrooms lovers will delight in the hearty flavor of the mushrooms, and those that think they don’t care for mushrooms will be about to change their minds.
Who can resist them when their delicate flavor is enhanced with a creamy Parmesan sauce?
Calories in Parmesan Chicken
I love comfort food as much as the next person, but that term often comes with a high dose of unhealthy calories. When butter, cream and cheese are on the list of ingredients in a recipe, there is not a whole lot that you can do to lessen the impact on your waistline, but I did my best.
I cut the amount of cream in half and substituted 2% milk for the other half. I also went a little lighter on the butter and substituted some butter with light olive oil to cut the saturated fat.
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is so much more tasty than the bottled Parmesan, so I was able to cut the amount down of the cheese to 1/2 cup.
And fresh herbs, mushrooms and garlic all add a ton of flavor while adding very few calories. The chicken parmesan calories work out to 458 per serving.
The recipe is high in protein and is low carb.
For more great tasting recipes that feature chicken breasts and fresh herbs, try one of these meal time ideas:
- Chicken piccata with artichoke hearts – another great sauce goes with this tasty recipe.
- This balsamic chicken and mushrooms is Whole30 compliant, gluten free and Paleo.
- Love creamy sauces? Try this Garlic mushroom chicken and pasta recipe
- One pan Baked Chicken Garlic Parmesan. This one is super easy to prepare!
This savory one pan chicken Parmesan recipe is creamy, rich and flavorful. It’s one that your family will ask for often, and you won’t mind, since it’s ready in a flash!
Why not surprise the family with it tonight?
Pin this creamy garlic Parmesan mushroom chicken recipe for later
Would you like a reminder of this recipe for Garlic Parmesan chicken? Just pin this image to one of your recipe boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of light Olive oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
For the Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of flour ( use gluten free flour or arrowroot powder to keep it gluten free)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low fat and low sodium
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 3/4 cup baby spinach, chopped
- Fresh thyme to garnish
- Season the chicken breasts with sea salt and cracked black pepper on both sides.
- In a sauté pan heat olive oil over medium high heat and cook the chicken for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is lightly browned on both sides and no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a 3-4 minutes until they are tender.
- Add to the plate with the chicken.
- To make the Parmesan sauce stir the butter into the pan and add the minced garlic and cook until tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook 3-5 minutes until the mixture is nice and toasty looking.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, heavy cream, 2% milk, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, fresh thyme, black pepper and sea salt.
- Stir in the chopped baby spinach and cook gently for a few minutes until the sauce starts to thicken and the spinach has wilted.
- Add the cooked chicken and mushrooms back to the pan.
- Spoon the chicken, mushrooms and sauce over cooked pasta or rice.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 32.1gSaturated Fat: 15.7gUnsaturated Fat: 14.8gCholesterol: 134.3mgSodium: 671.0mgCarbohydrates: 8.5gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 34.6g