Bar recipes are my favorite type of baked goods recipes. They are normally quite fast and easy to make and most have of them require ingredients that are already in your pantry. This recipe for Hello Dolly Bars fits that bill nicely and has an amazing flavor and texture.
Making these Chocolate Coconut Hello Dolly Bars
This type of bar is referred to in the Southern part of the US as Hello Dolly bars. Some also call them seven layer bars – although this recipe only calls for 5 layers.
Assemble your ingredients. You will need butter, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa powder, coconut, graham crackers and sweetened condensed milk. (I used fat free and it worked fine.)
Mix the cocoa powder, graham crackers, sugar and butter together.
Press into the bottom and up the sides of an 11 x 13″ baking pan.
Spread the chocolate chips first.
Now add the chopped pecans.
Now comes the sweetened condensed milk. Spread it evenly to the outside of the pan.
Top with shredded coconut. And bake at 375 º F until the coconut is melted – about 10- 15 minutes.
Optional: drizzle with melted chocolate.
Let it cool completely and then cut into bars and enjoy. Store in an airtight container.
Time for a taste!
These bars are rich and choc-lately with a lovely crunch and delicious taste. They make the perfect pot luck dessert.
For another version of these bars that also uses peanut butter, try these 7 Layer Magic Bars.
- 3 cups finely ground graham crackers (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounces reduced fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Optional: 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (melted) to drizzle the bars
- Preheat the oven to 375 º F. Line an 11 x 13" baking pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, sugar, and butter until combined. Press evenly on the bottom and slightly up the sides of prepared baking pan.
- Bake until firm (about 10 minutes). Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cooled crust evenly with the chocolate chips first and then the chopped pecans. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top, spreading to cover completely, then sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake until coconut is toasted, 10 to 15 minutes. Place on wire rack and let cool completely.
- If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate. Allow to cool completely. Cut into bars.
Amount Per Serving Calories 307 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 24mg Sodium 99mg Carbohydrates 36g Fiber 2g Sugar 27g Protein 4g