I love the taste of chicken pot pie. My mother used to make it a lot when I was a kid and I always think of her when I have it. But a chicken pot pie can take quite a long time to make. On a cold winter’s night, when you don’t have the time to make a chicken pot pie from scratch, this chicken pot pie soup will give you that same comfort food feeling quickly. It’s one of my favorite 30 minute meals.
Easy chicken soup recipes are the perfect way to warm up. For another delicious chicken soup, this time made in one pot on the stove, try my Thai Chicken Coconut Soup.
This Chicken pot Pie Soup is perfect for a Cold Winter’s night.
This soup tastes even better than it sounds. This Chicken Pot Pie Soup gives you your favorite pot pie flavors cooked into a simple one pot soup that your family will ask for again and again. And you won’t mind making it because goes from pot to the table in such a flash.
I used chicken thighs because they are so full of flavor. I tried to slim the soup down slightly by using skim milk, but did add a bit of heavy cream at the end to give it some richness.
I serve this with my hot crusty Italian bread. So rich and satisfying. Close your eyes and remember mama’s chicken pot pie and you will almost believe that is what you are eating.
- 1 lb of diced chicken thighs
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- ¾ cup flour, divided
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cup of fat free chicken stock
- 1 tsp Mediterranean sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cup of frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and the diced chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside, but leave the cooking liquid in pan. Add the remaining butter and 2 tbsp flour. Whisk to combine. Add the spices, stock,milk and seasoning. Mix well to combine.
- In a resealable jar combine ½ cup of the soup mixture (from pot) and the remaining flour. Shake well to combine. Add mixture to soup. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Add chicken and vegetables to soup. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the heavy cream and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with hot crusty bread.