Two of my favorite Italian meals are lasagna and pasta Alfredo. I have combined them together to make these chicken Alfredo roll ups. The recipe gives all the flavors of both dishes but in small individual sized parcels. This easy, no-fuss way of making lasagna brings this Italian comfort food to the table in easy to serve portions, each infused with a delicious Alfredo sauce.
I love that I can have this recipe on the table more quickly. Because the lasagna noodles are rolled with the fillings inside, there is no waiting for the lasagna to set so that it can be cut into pieces and still hold together well. This makes it perfect for busy weeknights, when you are in a hurry but your family is asking for their favorite Italian dishes.
Lasagna rollups are such a fun way to make the traditional Italian classic. See my recipe for a traditional Italian lasagna roll up recipe for another tasty way to server them.
Slimming down this chicken Alfredo roll ups recipe
Normal lasagna and Alfredo dishes are loaded in calories. Since I am interested in cooking in a more healthy way, I decided to tackle the challenge of slimming these down a little.
Trying to make such a rich dish a bit more healthy is not an easy feat, but I’ve done my best. Instead of normal lasagna noodles, I opted for whole wheat noodles and I chose a light cream cheese instead of the full fat version. The sauce is also lightened up a little by using half heavy cream and half 2% milk instead of all cream.
The final step is to go lightly on the cheese. The entire recipe calls for 2 cups and that is for the sauce as well as the topping. (Many rollup recipes call for 3 cups!) The dish is still rich and delicious, but is a little better for you than a normal version.Roll up your lasagna for an easy and fun way to eat Italian food. I ♥ #chickenalfredo. #lasagnarecipes. Click To Tweet
Making Chicken Alfredo Roll ups
I love fresh herbs for cooking. They add a delicous taste to recipes and when you try to slim down dishes, fresh herbs are even more important. Dried herbs lose their flavor quickly so choose fresh when you can.
Also, fresh herbs for kitchen gardens are easy to grow and most grocery stores stock them now. For this recipe, I chose fresh oregano, thyme and parsley as well as sea salt and cracked black pepper.
What you choose for cheese makes a big difference in the taste. I used freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese (not the bottled Parmesan) and a 4 State cheddar cheese. (Wisconsin, NY, and Vermont Sharp and California mild mixture)
To make these chicken Alfredo roll ups, start by cooking your noodles according to the package directions. I chose whole wheat noodles, not only because they are more healthy and also because they have a nutty consistency that holds up well in the oven.
While the noodles are cooking, you can make your sauce. Put the butter in a saucepan over medium low heat and let it melt. Add the garlic and low fat cream cheese and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Stir in the heavy cream and 2% milk, the herbs, Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Cook gently, stirring often for about 10 minutes until the sauce is creamy and thick.
Making the Lasagna Rollups
Prepare your casserole dish by spraying first with some cooking spray and then adding about 1/4 cup of the Alfredo sauce over the bottom of the pan.
Lay out each lasagna noodle and add a teaspoon of the sauce along the length of the noodle. Add some of the sliced chicken, another teaspoon of the sauce and a tiny bit of the sharp cheddar. It helps for rolling if you don’t have the mixture on the last inch of the noodle.
Roll the noodles with the filling inside and place them with the end side down in the prepared casserole dish. Finish with the remaining noodles. Add the remainder of the sauce over the lasagna rollups and top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350 º F oven for 30 minutes until the roll ups are heated through and the cheese is bubbly. It is nice to be able to serve them almost as soon as they are out of the oven. They keep their shape well, so no waiting to cut the lasagna!
Tasting These Chicken Alfredo Roll Ups
These rollups are very rich and filling. They are easy to make and easy to eat!
If you love the taste of rich Italian food with a healthy twist, you’ll really like these. The whole wheat noodles gives the roll ups a nice nutty consistency and taste and the creamy Alfredo sauce is rich and decadent. Each of the chicken Alfredo roll ups works out to about 357 calories. Two of them would still be a fairly rich meal but still much lighter than any restaurant version.
Admin note: This recipe first appeared on my site in October 2013. I have updated the post with new images and more step by step instructions to make the cooking process easier for you to follow.
- 10 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- ⅓ cup of heavy cream
- ⅓ cup of 2% milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1½ tsp fresh oregano
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley
- ⅔ cup Parmesan reggiano cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I chose 4 State Cheddar)
- For the Roll ups:
- 2 cups cooked, thinly sliced pieces of cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 º F. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and place on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce.
- Place the butter in a pan over medium low heat and melt. Add the garlic and cook gently for about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the Heavy cream and 2% milk, along with the fresh herbs and seasonings, whisking gently until it is smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and ⅔ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Cook, stirring often until the sauce is smooth and thick about 10 minutes.
- Spray the bottom of an oven proof baking dish with cooking spray and place about ¼ cup of the Alfredo sauce in the pan.
- Spread about 1 tsp of the sauce over each noodle and add some shredded chicken and add it over the sauce. Top with another tsp of the sauce and a little of shredded cheddar.
- Carefully roll up each noodle and place in the pan. Top with the remaining Alfredo sauce and Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the roll ups are heated through and the cheese is bubbly.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission, but the price will be the same for you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."