This recipe goes back to the hearty food of the 1970s. My mom used to make hearty side dish casseroles a lot since we had a big family and food had to go a long way.
Printable recipe – Cheese Potato & Italian Sausage Casserole
The recipe is easy to make and delicious. I used sweet Italian sausage that it would not be too spicy and slimmed it down a little with low fat buttermilk and Cabot reduced fat cheddar cheese.
Gather the ingredients. You will need potatoes, Butter, flour, sweet Italian sausage, buttermilk, cheddar cheese, paprika, salt and pepper.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes. They should be slightly firm since they will cook a bit more in the oven.
Meanwhile cut the sausages in half and then into one inch pieces and cook, in a skillet over a medium heat, until they are lightly browned. Only about 5 minutes or so.
Combine the flour and butter and cook slightly and add the buttermilk. Use a whisk and stir continuously. The sauce will thicken slightly. Add 1/2 of the cheese and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
Cut the boiled potatoes into small chunks.
Place them in a casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam cooking spray.
Add the cooked Sausages and distribute evenly.
Pour the cheese sauce over the top and combine well.
Add the remaining cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole and sprinkle with paprika. Cook in a preheated 350 º F oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown on the top.
- 1 pound of potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups reduced fat buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until they are almost cooked.
- Meanwhile cut the sausages in half and then into 1 inch pieces. Cook over a medium heat until they are lightly browned.
- Mix the butter and flour and cook slightly till blended. Add the buttermilk and ½ of the shredded cheese and cook until it thickens. Stir continuously with a whisk while cooking.
- Dice the cooled potatoes and add to a casserole dish that has been sprayed with pam cooking spray. Mix in the sausage pieces and distribute evenly.
- Add the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and add the paprika.
- Cook in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until it is golden brown on top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 464 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 18g Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 1125mg Carbohydrates 27g Fiber 2g Sugar 6g Protein 24g