The cooler weather is on the way and for me that means cooking lots of casseroles. This BBQ Ranch Chicken Casserole is rich and hearty and the perfect way to warm you up on a cool autumn night. And the fact that it’s one of my 30 minute meals makes it an added bonus for busy cooks!Hearty casseroles loaded with pasta and cheese are right up there on my list of comfort foods, but since I am trying to follow a gluten free and lower fat diet, I had to make some adjustments for this recipe.
Don’t let that fool you though. This delicious casserole is loaded with flavor!
Making the BBQ ranch chicken casserole.
This recipe is so colorful and fresh looking. Small campari tomatoes (so sweet!) fresh corn kernels and crisp vidalia onion gives this casserole a feast for the eyes!
I started by cooking some gluten free penne pasta in boiling water. I like the way the little tubes hold the sauce in them and makes it easy to incorporate the ranch BBQ flavors throughout the dish.
While the pasta was cooking I added some olive oil to a pan and cooked the chicken breasts and then cut them up into bite sized pieces.
Once the pasta and chicken are ready, combine them with the vegetables in a large bowl. Make it a big one! This recipe fills a 9 x 11 baking dish to the top.
Stir in the ranch dressing and BBQ sauce. I chose a smoky barbecue sauce that is gluten free, but any type you are fond of will work.
Now comes the cheese. I’d LIKE to pile in a few cups of it and then add more to the top, but restraint is the name of the game, folks. 1/2 cup of mozzarella and another 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese get tossed in and the whole thing gets combined into one delicious bowl of YUM. If you are going light on cheese, Parmesan Reggiano is a good choice since it has tons of flavor.
Add a bit more grated cheese to the top (keep it fairly light to keep the calories down) and the casserole is ready to go into the oven.
Time to taste the BBQ Ranch Chicken Casserole
If you thought you’d be missing all that extra cheese, you are dead wrong. Every bite of this amazing casserole is hearty and rich but not heavy like a cream based cheese casserole is. Mixing in the cup of cheese through the casserole means that just a small amount is needed for the top.
I love the tang of the BBQ sauce and how it mingles with the ranch dressing to give a tangy sweet taste to each bite.
There is nothing better than hearty comfort food this time of the year. And when that comfort food is healthier and better for you? A match made in clean living heaven! Who says dieting has to be boring?
This chicken casserole with its lighter cheesy goodness and baked with ranch and BBQ ranch will delight your family and have them asking for more.
This recipe gives eight good sized helpings, each just under 500 calories each and it’s gluten free as long as you use a gluten free pasta and check your other labels. Add a tossed salad and dinner is on the table in just over 30 minutes!
If you like the taste of BBQ recipes, you will love the flavor of this BBQ Ranch Chicken Casserole. I like that that vidalia onions go into the casserole uncooked. This gives them a nice crunch when you are eating it that pairs beautifully with the BBQ sauce flavor.
- 1 lb of chicken breasts, skinless
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb gluten free penne pasta
- 1 cup sweet corn kernals
- 6 Campari tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup vidalia onion, diced
- 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- extra Parmesan Reggiano cheese for topping
- Pink Sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ cups light ranch dressing (check your labels for gluten free)
- ½ cup BBQ sauce (check your labels for gluten free
- Cook the penne pasta just until it is nearly done but not quite al dente. Set aside.
- Place the olive oil in a non stick pan and cook chicken with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper until it is done. Let cool then chop and set the chicken aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease an oven proof casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, diced vidalia onion, corn kernels, cooked pasta and chopped chicken. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper and mix well.
- Whisk ranch dressing and BBQ sauce together and add it to the chicken mixture. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add 1 cup of mozzarella and ½ cups of Parmesan Reggiano cheese and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and spread it evenly. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese all over and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission, but the price will be the same for you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."