These phyllo cup appetizers are easy to make and will be a big hit at any BBQ gathering.
Tender pulled pork and a tangy BBQ sauce add just the right amount of kick to these little bites.
This recipe is one of my favorite easy appetizers. You can fill them up with all sorts of tasty fillings and have a appetizers for a BBQ or summer gathering with your friends.
Phyllo cup recipes are so much fun at a party. These mini phyllo shells are also a time saver for those times when friends drop by unexpectedly.
In this post, I’ll be showing you how to make the pulled pork appetizers step by step and also giving some ideas for other ways to fill mini phyllo cups for your next party.
Making these phyllo cup appetizers
These mini phyllo appetizers can be made ahead for even more time saving on party night. Just bake them right before serving.
To make these phyllo pastry appetizers, assemble your ingredients first. You’ll need these items.
- Miniature phyllo dough shells – I got some pre-baked ones to make the recipe quick and easy.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – this is not the time for a fat free cheese. Go for the flavor!
- Cooked pulled pork – I bought a package of pulled pork but you could use left over if you have some on hand
- Tangy Barbecue sauce – for an extra zing!
- Sour cream – to finish
- Fresh cilantro – for garnishing
Start by preheating the oven and place the cooked phyllo dough shells on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Put a small cube of cheddar cheese into each Phyllo shell. I used Cabot seriously sharp cheddar because it has a strong robust flavor.
The phyllo cups are quite small, so a very small piece of cheese is all you need.
The pulled pork goes in next. Pull it apart as you put it in the cup so the sauce can flow down through it.Now top with a dollop of BBQ sauce. I used a Jack Daniels flavored sauce for some extra flavor.
Can you believe how easy these last minute appetizers are? If you have unexpected guests coming over, this easy appetizer recipe will have something spectacular to offer them with very little effort on your part. That’s it!
All you need to do now is bake them for 20 minutes until they are heated through and nice and toasty looking.
Just before serving, top the appetizer with some sour cream and garnish with fresh cilantro.
These easy appetizers will disappear from your party table in no time flat!
Tasting these BBQ phyllo pasty cups
These little phyllo shell appetizers are a lovely combination of creamy cheese, tender pulled pork and tangy BBQ sauce. They are the perfect blend of flavors and would make a great grill party appetizer.
The barbecue sauce gives them a bit of a zing!
Other appetizer ideas – What can I put in phyllo cups?
I keep these mini shells on hand all the time to make into appetizers when friends drop over. Not everyone has pulled pork on hand but there are loads of other ways to fill the cups.
What else can you fill these mini pastry cups with that would still be quick for a party? Here are a few easy ideas to spark your creativity.
- Ground beef or ground chicken. Just cook some on the stove top and mix the bbq sauce and layer over the cheese.
- Have some vegetarians coming over? Add roasted squash cubes on top of the cheese and finish off with some fresh herbs and grated Parmesan cheese and bake.
- Like seafood instead? Add the cheese cubes and top with some diced shrimp or crab mixed with sweet bell pepper. Omit the barbecue sauce and top with seafood sauce after cooking.
- Use Cream cheese and fruit topped with chocolate sauce for a sweet appetizer. No need to bake these!
- Make mini pizzas. Add marinara sauce, some pepperoni and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and bake.
- Fill them with spinach artichoke dip for a savory, and creamy appetizer.
- Add some creamy pumpkin dip for a seasonal sweet twist. Serve cold.
- Lemon pudding with whipped topping gives you a mini lemon pie taste. Another sweet cold idea.
- Trader Joe’s Light mozzarella cheese on the bottom with buffalo chicken and Greek yogurt would make a great WW Freestyle option for only 4 points for two appetizers!
How many calories are in these pulled pork phyllo cups?
These decadent little pulled pork puff pastry appetizers might look calorie laden but they are surprisingly low – just 69 calories in each cup. Even with a glass of red wine, you can have a low calorie start to your party!
Admin note: This recipe for these pulled pork appetizers was first on the blog in October of 2013. I have updated the post to add all new photos, a printable recipe card and a video for you to enjoy.
Pin these phyllo cup appetizers for later
Would you like a reminder of these BBQ appetizers for your next party? Just pin this image to one of your appetizers boards on Pinterest.
These tasty BBW Phyllo cup appetizers are easy to make and will be a big hit at any outdoor gathering. They are quick to prepare and great for when friends drop over unexpectedly. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases but the price is the same for you. Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Phyllo Cup Appetizers - BBQ Pulled Pork Phyllo Cups
Serving Size: 1 appetizer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
These tasty BBW Phyllo cup appetizers are easy to make and will be a big hit at any outdoor gathering. They are quick to prepare and great for when friends drop over unexpectedly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases but the price is the same for you.
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Sunday 14th of July 2019
Those look SO delicious! And it's nice to find an appetizer with so many flavor options that is bite size! Very cool.
Sunday 14th of July 2019
Thanks! I love easy appetizers that can be made quickly for unexpected guests~