When you are looking for an easy weekend breakfast, you can’t top these banana nut muffins with a streusel topping. They are BIG, delicious and full of flavor. The topping is fairly light, so the heartiness of the banana and nuts comes through without being too sweet. This breakfast recipe makes 6 of the very large size muffins. If you want to make the normal muffins, cook them for about 20 minutes.
Banana Nut Muffins With Streusel Topping.
These babies are not for the faint of heart. I made them in the large cupcake liners so they are enough for a whole breakfast. I eat 1/2 of one with some fruit because they are not exactly what you would call “a diet food.” (about 450 calories for a whole muffin.
Save them for a special treat, or cut them in half to save the calories and make them last longer. Either way, they are delicious!
If you enjoyed these muffins but can’t eat wheat or sugar, check out these Paleo Banana Nut Muffins.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup mashed ripe bananas, (about 3 medium bananas)
- 2 eggs - I use free range
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Streusel Topping
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup chilled butter
- Preheat oven to 350 º F. Grease 6 large size cup muffin pan, or use paper liners. (I spray them with Pam so the muffins don't stick.)
- Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, and then add the dry ingredients. Mix well. Fill muffin tins about ¾ full.
- Mix the flour, sugars, and cinnamon; cut in the butter till the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle lightly on top of muffin batter. (heavier if you want more sweetness - I usually have extra of the streusel because I sprinkle it lightly.)
- Cook for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!