This balsamic chicken and mushrooms recipe has a garlic cream sauce that is super tasty. It’s Whole30 compliant, gluten free and Paleo. Best of all, it’s healthy, easy and delicious! The dish comes together in one pot and is one of my favorite 30 minute meals.
I love one pan meals. They are so easy to prepare and the layers of flavor build one on top of the other. Clean up is easy and this type of recipe is perfect for a beginning cook whole still wants to impress. Your guests will think you spent hours preparing this delicious recipe. It’s easy enough for a busy week night and also perfect for entertaining guests.
Balsamic chicken is a favorite in our house. I love the tang that the balsamic vinegar adds to a recipe. This dish goes to a whole new level with the sauce to give a cream like finish to the dish.
Let’s make this balsamic chicken and mushrooms recipe.
The flavor of this recipe comes from simple ingredients – the fresh herbs, garlic, shallots and mushrooms, plus chicken stock and balsamic vinegar. Each step of the cooking process adds another layer of flavor until you end up with a super delicious dish.
Start by heating your coconut oil in a saucepan and cooking the mushrooms, shallots and garlic until tender. Remove and set aside while you cook the chicken.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes. Just spray your pan with some extra coconut oil spray to keep the calories down and cook the chicken until it is nicely browned.
Making the garlic cream sauce
The mushroom mixtures gets added back to the pan so that you can begin making the delicious garlic cream sauce.
Stir in the chicken broth and vinegar and bring the mixture to a boil, the reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Combine the coconut milk and arrowroot powder in a glass. Stir well and then add to the chicken and mushroom mixture. Simmer until the sauce thickens – about a minute more. You will end up with a lovely, savory gravy that has a creamy consistency but doesn’t use any cream. Trust me – you won’t miss the cream or the calories. This sauce is amazing!
Sprinkle the chicken and mushrooms with some fresh chopped parsley and serve. The whole dish is ready in about 20 minutes!
Time to taste this delicious Balsamic Chicken and mushrooms
Every bite of this delicious balsamic chicken and mushrooms recipe is a surprise. The delicate flavor of the shallots adds a nice sweet onion flavor but without the bite of a normal onion. The balsamic vinegar gives a tartness to the dish that combines so well with the chicken. And the garlic cream sauce is creamy, smooth and has a velvety texture. It is hard to believe that it is made with no cream!
The dish works out at 418 calories for 2 large portions or 281 calories if you stretch it for three servings.
I love that this recipe comes together in one pan and in less than 30 minutes. It’s such a lovely looking dish. Your family will think it took hours. But shhhh….we don’t need to tell the truth!
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 8 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 cup of chicken broth (check your labels for Whole30 compliant)
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large non stick skillet. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook until tender - about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Transfer to a plate while you cook the chicken.
- Spray the pan with coconut oil spray and add the chicken pieces. Cook until lightly browned about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture back to the pan, add the thyme leaves and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the chicken broth and vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine the coconut milk and arrowroot powder in a glass. Stir well and add to the chicken and mushroom mixture. Simmer until the sauce thickens about a minute more.
- Serve the chicken and mushrooms with some fresh chopped parsley.