Printable Recipe: Spicy Mexican Rice
Are you craving the taste of Mexican rice from your favorite Mexican restaurant? No need to go out or have take out. Why not make your own Mexican rice?
This recipe is easy to do, full of flavor and on the table in about 25 minutes.
Add the olive oil and butter to a frying pan and heat. Stir in the rice and cook slightly until rice is browned and veggies are tender.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, green peppers, chili powder and diced jalapenos. Stir in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 15-17 minutes until the rice is tender.
Stir in the shredded cheese and transfer to a serving dish.
I served this with my cheeseburger taco wraps and it made a great combination.
I serve this rice with my recipe for Cheeseburger Taco wraps for a great Mexican meal. Add a tossed salad and you have a great meal in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1½ cups long-grain rice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 small can pf diced jalapeno chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I used Cabot 40% reduced fat cheddar)
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter and olive oil. Add the rice, onion, peppers, and garlic.
- Cook until the rice is browned and vegetables are tender. Stir in the water, diced tomatoes, jalapeno chilis, chili powder, and salt and bring to a boil. Season with pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 15 to 17 minutes. Stir in the cheddar cheese and transfer to a serving bowl.