Ahh…the wonders of crock pot recipes. No other kitchen appliance can make a dinner with hardly any preparation at all taste like you spent hours preparing and tending it. This Slow Cooker Applesauce Pork Roast has a lovely sweet flavor and beautifully tender pork.
I use my crock pot all the time, but never quite as much as in the winter months, when I prepare more casseroles and roasts. This recipe for applesauce pork roast is so tasty and delicious and takes not time to prepare.
There are not many ingredients for this recipe. You can use whatever vegetables you would like – I used potatoes, leeks and carrots today.
Aren’t my salt and pepper shakers adorable? They are a Christmas gift from my daughter Jess. (we are two peas in a pod, her and I!)
Be sure to brown your roast first. I used a rosemary infused olive oil. A crock pot won’t brown the meat, so it is important to brown it first on the stove.
Once you have have browned it, it is just a matter of laying in the veggies, putting the pork on top and then spreading it with the delectable applesauce topping and sprigs of fresh rosemary. Here it is, ready to make my house smell delicious today while it cooks.
At dinner time, just place the veggies on a plate, add a few slices of the pork and top it with some of the applesauce topping that remains in the slow cooker. Mm, mmmm – delicious and so easy!
Normally, I add liquid to crock pot recipes but for this one, I just used the applesauce on the pork. To my delight, the vegetables browned during cook and had a perfect texture to them. They absorbed just a hint of the apple flavoring and were a perfect compliment to the meat. Who would have thought it was possible to brown potatoes in a crock pot?
Instead of cooking at dinner time, I spent my time in the garden with a glass of wine and a logic puzzle. Now that is how I like to start dinner!
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (about 3 pounds)
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 large carrots, peeled sliced diagonally
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut in to large chunks
- 3 leeks, washed cut into 1½ inch pieces
- 2 tbsp Rosemary infused olive oil
- 1 cup applesauce (I used my home made applesauce recipe but bottled will work too.)
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Cut the vegetables and place them in the bottom of a slow cooker that has been sprayed with Pam.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet and brown the roast on all sides. Place the roast in the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- Combine the applesauce, mustard, ginger, and honey; and spread over roast. Top with the sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Heat on a low setting for 6-7 hours.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.