Printable Recipe: Ground Beef & Penne pasta
This recipe for ground beef and penne pasta is comfort food at it’s best. It is one of my family’s favorite recipes. It takes very little time to prepare but tastes as though you spent hours over a hot stove.
The red wine and mushrooms combine with the tomatoes and fresh herbs to make a rich sauce that compliments the pasta so well.
This recipe is a meat version but you can also make it for vegetarians and vegans by omitting the ground beef and adding lots of fresh vegetables. Serve with a tossed salad and garlic bread for a fast and delicious week night meal.
- 1 (16-oz) box penne pasta - cooked & drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs. I use rosemary, oregano, basil and thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 10 oz can of crushed tomatoes Italian style
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup good quality red wine
- Begin boiling water for pasta and cook using package directions.
- Meanwhile, Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium high heat. Cook the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are softened. Add the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Stir in the chopped fresh herbs, and season to taste.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, wine and tomato paste. Stir until combined.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the drained, cooked pasta and stir well to heat through.
- Serve with garlic bread and a tossed salad.