Printable recipe: Chicken Piccata with Artichoke hearts Capers & Lemon Garlic Sauce
My daughter used to work at Ragazzi’s Italian restaurant here in Raleigh, NC. My husband and I often used to dine there and one of his favorite dishes was chicken piccata.
I have come up with my version of this dish and this one uses artichoke hearts with capers in a lemon garlic sauce. It is very tasty and saves us a trip out (and the cost too!)
The recipe has wonderful flavor and is even better the next day! It is very nice served over angel hair pasta or linguine, or even my recipe for Italian roasted potatoes.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- halves, pounded ½ inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 onion, minced
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (13.75 ounce) can artichoke hearts,
- drained and chopped, liquid reserved
- ¼ cup capers, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix together the flour, garlic powder, Kosher salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning on a plate. Dredge the chicken pieces lightly into the prepared flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken pieces for 2 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Using the same frying pan, cook the garlic, and onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour the white wine into the pan, turn the heat to high, and cook until the wine reduces by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, lemon juice and zest, reserved artichoke liquid, and browned chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Stir in the capers and butter.